Monday, April 21, 2014

Stuff that needs to be done with the garden

I've been taking a break from garden improvements, as I've hit a road block in more than one way.

School has left me quite busy, so I haven't had enough time to devote to getting the garden ready for summer.

There are a few things that need to be finished as of the end of May, or else the garden is going to cook, and I will have no way to prevent it.

1) I need to clear the brush in the backyard. This will involve getting the chainsaw out and processing a bunch of lumber left over from the winter ice and spring wind. Between Lauren and I being busy and traveling, I haven't gotten a solid block of 3 or 4 hours to finish this job. Hopefully I can get to it within a week or two, because the drip irrigation project is blocked until it is done (one of the sprinkler heads that I need to cap is under the brush pile).



2) I need to finish up the drip irrigation system before the summer heat sets in! In order to do that, project #1 needs to be completed, and I need to find some stakes to keep the irrigation tubing in the ground. This will be a quick project once all the required equipment is available and accessible.


3) I need to put up trellises for the vining vegetables to climb! Preferably this will happen by summer, as the plants will need the trellises pretty soon!

4) I need to put up sun shades for the vegetables. As part of the trellis project, I want to build the ability to put up sun shades. Then, hopefully, it will be a simple addition to put the shades up and give the vegetables a little break from the summer sun!


5) I need to get the raised beds set up with hoop houses. Something similar to this will be my plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment